From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How's the openrc update going for everyone?
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 21:22:31
1 On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 11:10:03PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 17:06 on Thursday 12 May 2011, Indi did opine
3 > thusly:
4 >
5 > > On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 04:40:02PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
6 > > > Apparently, though unproven, at 16:00 on Thursday 12 May 2011, Indi did
7 > > > opine
8 > > >
9 > > > thusly:
10 > > > > I had 8 users on kde before 3 was deprecated in 2009.
11 > > > > Now I have zero. It was a harrowing time, switching
12 > > > > everyone to gnome, finding that is not so hot, finally
13 > > > > putting them on xfce. If xfce gets a wild hair and changes
14 > > > > my plan is to dumb down the fluxbox or openbox
15 > > > > configs I have for my own use, add some scripting and call
16 > > > > it a day.
17 > > >
18 > > > So why didn't you just leave the users on KDE3?
19 > >
20 > > For the same reason I didn't leave them on windows 98 se.
21 > > Yes, it technically "still works" but is far less useful
22 > > than it was when it was enthusiastically supported by its
23 > > creators and still considered one of two default choices
24 > > for DE duty.
25 > >
26 > > I'm sorry if this discussion has offended you, Alan.
27 > > That was certainly not my intent.
28 >
29 > No, you didn't offend me. I usually talk and type like that.
30 >
31 > > However, admins with stories like mine are not at all uncommon,
32 > > and the bottom line is that kde4 lost a lot of users to other
33 > > DEs. The kde devs clearly bit off more than could chew, but
34 > > obviously that's water under the bridge now. But to deny it or
35 > > make excuses now does no service to anyone. "Oops, better not do
36 > > that again", is what we all hope they learned. We all make mistakes,
37 > > just don't make the same ones repeatedly! :)
38 >
39 > Your first three sentences above contain huge sweeping generalities disguised
40 > as facts, but all they really are is "what Indi thinks". If you are going to
41 > make comments like that, you have to back them up with some kind of
42 > independant unbiased metrics, otherwise you are talking through a hole in your
43 > ass.
44 >
45 > I have what I think might be an interesting exercise. One of the machines I
46 > admin is an enormous ftp server that serves an entire continent. It hosts
47 > every major (and many minor) distros, including gentoo and it's distfiles. One
48 > day when I'm motivated enough to do it, I might just draw download stats per
49 > distro for packages with kde in the name and plot this going back to before
50 > KDE-4.0.0 was released. I feel the numbers might prove very interesting.
51 >
52 > I won't be doing it today though, the motivation is not there (in the same way
53 > that the authors of KDE didn't have the motivation to maintain kde3 anymore).
56 You might be correct, but I very much doubt it.
57 I will say though that it's almost a certainty
58 the *type* of user who uses kde4 is probably
59 different from those who used kde3.
60 As I mentioned before, IMO the forte of kde3 was
61 making migration to linux easy for windows users.
62 I don't think anyone can say that about kde4 with a
63 straight face. On this list we constantly see pretty
64 advanced users having trouble keeping kde4 running.
65 My own experiments with it were extremely frustrating.
68 caveat utilitor