From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cell phone as modem
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 14:25:53
1 On Sunday 02 December 2007, Grant wrote:
2 > Has anyone attached their cell phone to their Gentoo system to act as
3 > a modem? This would be great for traveling. I'm with Sprint (no
4 > contract) but I think I'll switch to T-Mobile because from what I
5 > understand they are the only cell phone provider in the US which uses
6 > the GSM band. That way I should be able to use the phone/modem
7 > internationally. Has anyone set this up? Any phones look
8 > particularly good for this?
9
10 Last time I used my cell phone (in the UK) it was over an irda connection and
11 ppp dial up. Happy to share my outdated settings if you're interested, but I
12 would think that your should be able to set up a bluetooth connection to your
13 phone and use the GPRS connection which should be much faster than the
14 9600baud that my old phone could handle.
15
16 Some of this may be useful to you:
17 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Access_the_internet_with_your_cellphone_and_bluetooth_(UMTS/GPRS)
20 Regards,