From: Andy Wilkinson <drukargin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] gvfs, cameras, and me
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 05:27:02
1 So, the only issue that I consistently have in Gentoo anymore is that
2 there exist periods of time (probably coincident with gphoto2 or gvfs
3 upgrades) wherein I can't automount my PTP digital camera (a Nikon D60,
4 if it's relevant) and use gthumb to import my photos. I'm able to use
5 gphoto2 to do so just fine, and so I do, but it bothers me that the way
6 I'd prefer to do things doesn't work the way I'd like it to. Currently
7 I'm in a "doesn't work" phase, as you may have surmised.
8
9 To make matters worse, when gvfs/nautilus doesn't see the camera at all,
10 I have no idea at all how to find out what messages might have been sent
11 where, or why gvfs might not be seeing it, or what-have-you. None of
12 the usual suspects (dmesg, /var/log/messages, ~/.xsession-errors) have
13 anything useful. dmesg does at least tell me that I'm seeing the USB
14 device properly.
15
16 Is there a tried-and-true method of at least troubleshooting this sort
17 of issue, or am I stuck throwing darts at the different gphoto2 and gvfs
18 builds in portage?
19
20 I've attached emerge --info gvfs gphoto2, for the curious.
21
22 Thanks,
23
24 -Andy

emerge-info_gvfs-gthumb-gphoto2.txt text/plain