From: Aaron Clark <ophidian@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: sky2 , kernel 2.6.31, macbook pro and connection hiccups
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 17:23:58
1 On 01/03/2010 08:14 AM, bn wrote:
2 > Neil Walker ha scritto:
3 >> I have a similar chipset in this desktop:
4 >>
5 >> 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8056 PCI-E
6 >> Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 14)
7 >> Subsystem: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device 00ba
8 >>
9 >> It's worked perfectly with the sky2 driver in all kernel versions since
10 >> goodness knows
11 >> what. It certainly worked with all of the 2.6.31 releases. It's
12 >> currently on gentoo-sources 2.6.32-r1.
13 >
14 > Good to know, I hope it's just a cable issue, but the coincidence with
15 > the upgrade makes me worry.
18 sky2 seems to be kind of touchy with different chipsets. I have a circa
19 2008 Mac Mini running CentOS (so it's got whatever voodoo magic
20 backported version of sky2 that RedHat included) and it was giving me
21 all sorts of grief with hangup/reset issues (apparently related to
22 issues with bridged connections). I also have a Gentoo box with 2 NICs
23 (one being an 88E8053, just like the Mac Mini) that was having issues
24 with large transfers on the sky2 connection years ago so I switched over
25 to the other NIC.
26
27 Good luck with your search.
28
29 Aaron
30 --
31 "The goblins are in charge of maintenance? Why not just set it on fire
32 now and call it a day?"
33 --Whip Tongue, Viashino Technician