From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] etc-update
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:59:19
1 On Monday 26 June 2006 14:36, Sean wrote:
2 > What is the best way to handle the files that etc-update states needs to
3 > be updated?
4
5 There are three competing utilities for this purpose. The official etc-update
6 (which sucks and should have been deprecated a long time ago... ;) ),
7 dispatch-conf and cfg-update.
8
9 > It displays a list of all the files that need updating, but does it
10 > actually put this list into a file anywhere so that I can manually look
11 > them over to see what the differences are?
12
13 This will show the new files:
14
15 # find /etc -name ._cfg*
16
17 > Or could anyone suggest the best steps to proceed?
18
19 What you should do is figure out how to use either dispatch-conf or
20 cfg-update. Personally I use dispatch-conf because I learned that first and
21 it satisfies my needs. I think cfg-update is superior but never bothered to
22 investigate. A couple of references:
23
24 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=4
25 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=86622