From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Shinkan <shinkan@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerge with --root option : users not created
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 06:03:29
1 On Monday 14 December 2009 15:02:22 Shinkan wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > I wanted to submit this as a bug on bugzilla, but I must be sure there is
5 > nothing that I miss.
6 >
7 > Let's say I have a /target dir.
8 > If I do 'emerge --root=/target <someport>' (cross-emerge), and that
9 > <someport> is supposed to create users (like vixie-cron, clamav or many
10 > others), users are not created on /target. I can verify that by chrooting
11 > on /target and making something that requires this user (such as launching
12 > clamd for clamav), or simply by looking at /target/etc/passwd to see that
13 > there's no expected users.
14 >
15 > Am I missing somethings or is this really a bug ?
16
17 What you are trying to do makes no sense. You are either cross-compiling for
18 chroot-type purposes or cross-compiling for a different machine and arch.
19
20 If it's the former, you do not need or want an /etc/passwd in the chroot - you
21 start such things with the EUID of the intended user from the starts.
22
23 If it's for another machine, what good will a passwd file be? What are you
24 going to do with it? You certainly can't copy it to the target intact, you
25 can't cat and append it to the passwd file on the target host, in fact you
26 cannot make any assumptions about the target at all, not even that a passwd
27 file is present there.
28
29 The only thing you can do in that case is write an installer script that takes
30 you tar.bz2, unpacks it on the target and then checks the status there and
31 runs useradd as necessary depending on what it finds.
35 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com