From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Video Network Stream from Pipe
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 19:44:57
1 On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 20:29 +0100, Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > I'm currently trying to set up a personal video recorder in form of a
5 > headless server using mencoder and freevo.
6 >
7 > What I would like to do is watching the movie while mencoder is realtime
8 > encoding it to x264/vorbis in a Matroska container.
9 > I already tried it using sshfs. Unfortunately, the file is only read up
10 > to the point where it ended when playing it started.
11 > I don't know if NFS would behave better.
12 >
13 > Well, what I thought about was doing it like this:
14 >
15 > #!/bin/bash
16 > mencoder [...] -o - | tee video.mkv | stream-app
17 >
18 > So far it should work and vlc would be the natural choice for the
19 > streaming app. However, vlc seems unable to read from a pipe so I need
20 > something else.
21 >
22 > Can anyone give me a tip? maybe I missed an option in vlc or can someone
23 > propose an app that can be used instead?
24 >
25 > By the way: It's a 100MBit ethernet network without any switches or
26 > hubs. The machines are right next to each other.
27 > I hope it will be a 400 or even 500MBit net soon, but that's another
28 > topic ...
31 I just want to give an update in case someone plans something like
32 this:
33
34 NFS does not have the problem sshfs had - problem solved.
35
36 However, you can't navigate through files that mencoder did not yet
37 finish muxing. To be able to do so, you must tell mplayer to create a
38 new idx with -forceidx (just -idx might work as well and shouldn't harm
39 files that already contain an index but I haven't tested it yet).