From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: static-libs
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 08:04:16
1 On 09/11/2010 12:13 PM, Stéphane Guedon wrote:
2 > synce few days, I have a message of portage suggestiung me to use the "static-
3 > libs" USE flag for media-libs/jpeg-6b.
4 >
5 > What may be the consequence ? Please be gentle with explaining this sorte of
6 > things, as I have not the knowledges to understand the full compile process,
7 > otherwise I am a little bit familiar with it !
8
9 Enabling this flag will install a static version of libjpeg alongside
10 the dynamic one. You do not need to worry; other programs will continue
11 using the dynamic version, since this is the default. The static
12 version will only be used by programs that specifically demand it and
13 would otherwise not work.
14
15 So there are no consequences at all in enabling this USE flag.