From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Seeking advice about backup and partitioning; preparing to dual-boot Linux onto Vista drive
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 07:13:56
1 Am Dienstag, 23. Dezember 2008 07:39:17 schrieb Kevin O'Gorman:
2 > Dude, I'm getting a Dell!
3 >
4 > It's gonna come with Vista, and I have to use it that way for work.
5 > But I want to
6 > put a Linux partition on there. So I need to repartition.
7 >
8 > Having learned to be cautious, I'm wondering if there is a good open-source
9 > way to back up about 300GB of NTFS such that I can restore fairly smoothly.
10 > It has to be fairly fast, so file-by-file copies are probably going to
11 > suck. I'll have 100MB
12 > ethernet to a big-enough drive.
13
14 You may try bacula, it has a Windows client. rsnapshot may also work, see the
15 FAQ.
16
17 > Then, I'm wondering about partitioning tools. I can use
18 > PartitionMagic 7.0. I've heard
19 > of gparted, but not used it. Any advice?
20
21 I used BootItNG (the partitioning part of it) in the past. Works quite well
22 and I never lost a bit of data.
23
24 Bye...
25