From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Openoffice being replaced?
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 18:15:43
1 >From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
2 >To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
3 >Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 10:41 AM
4 >Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Openoffice being replaced?
5 >
6 >On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >> I noticed this today:
8 >>
9 >> The following mask changes are necessary to proceed:
10 >> #required by @selected, required by @world (argument)
11 >> # /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
12 >> # Tomáš Chvátal <scarabeus@g.o> (27 Jul 2011)
13 >> # Old replaced packages. Will be removed in 30 days.
14 >> # app-office/openoffice -> app-office/libreoffice
15 >> # app-office/openoffice-bin -> app-office/libreoffice-bin
16 >> # app-text/wpd2sxw -> app-text/wpd2odt
17 >>>=app-office/openoffice-3.2.1-r1
20 >> Does this mean that libreoffice is going to replace OOo in the tree?
21 >
22 >Looks like it. It has already replaced it on all my computers.
23 >
24 >Gentoo's OpenOffice has included the go-oo patches for a long time
25 >anyway, which were the big thing changed about LibreOffice (those
26 >patches included in mainline), and using the two I can honestly say
27 >there's really no difference as far as I can tell, aside from the
28 >splash screen. Somebody posted about some Sun templates a while
29 >back... maybe something proprietary like that is changed, but
30 >OpenTemplate.org is meant to replace those anyway.
31 >
32 >I would say switch to LibreOffice and don't look back. :)
36 I wouldn't. While LibreOffice may have some advances at the moment, I'm still interested in following main-line OOo - now being setting under Apache.
37
38 Please do not force us to convert from OO to LO. I have no problem with separate installs for each, but there will be those (like me) that want the official OO installs.
39
40 That said, I have more confidence in Apache managing OO than I do TDF with LO, having observed TDF's mailing lists for several months (before finally dropping off in favor of Apache OO). I know others will have different opinions; but that (again) is why we should allow those using OO to remain using OO.
43 Ben