From: App Deb <appdebgr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Virtualbox USB w/o usbfs
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 08:27:11
1 You should never add that line in fstab in Gentoo. Don't follow random
2 tutorials about random distro workarounds. Gentoo bootscripts mount usbfs on
3 boot with gid=group=usb, so if you want to give user permissions for usbfs,
4 you add yourself to the "usb" group, you don't need to do anything else, and
5 Virtualbox will work (of course you also need to be in the vboxusers group).
8 Anyway, usbfs is not actually needed anymore, it has been replaced by usb
9 /dev/ entries. VirtualBox will use usbfs if it is mounted, but if it is not,
10 usb will work with the new improved way (better permission handling, for
11 printers for example). I don't now of any application that works only with
12 usbfs anymore, maybe it is time to remove it (or make it optional) from the
13 default gentoo boot-scripts.