From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge all but...
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 16:59:21
1 On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3
4 > I mentioned this on -dev once when this topic came up.  Thing is, portage is
5 > not the only package manager being used.
6
7 That's an important point.
8
9 > Personally I think portage should
10 > be the official package manager and if you chose to use something else, you
11 > should know what not to do to the system.
12
13 Unofficially I think it is! ;-)
14
15 > Portage requires python but I
16 > think one of the other package managers uses C or something.  Remove C on my
17 > rig, no big deal as far as being able to boot and re-emerge a package.
18
19 Careful. Can you really emerge gcc without at least one version of gcc
20 on the system? I didn't think so unless you've got access to a binary
21 somewhere, such as the install tarball or something like that. Even
22 that could be a problem. I did some cleanup a few years ago that
23 removed an old version of gcc and found I couldn't build anything
24 anymore. Embarrassing!
25
26 > Do
27 > it on a system with some other package manager and you are in a mess.  Point
28 > being, it's sort of hard for them to list them since it depends on what
29 > package manager you are using.
32 True, and a more experienced user can use equery, among other tools,
33 to determine what dependencies a package has. Problem was my previous
34 answer didn't mention that.
35
36 > There are some packages I installed and still don't know much about.  lol
37 > Sort of funny in a way.  Most of them "just work" so we don't need to know
38 > much about them.
39
40 Actually, for me it's _most_ packages I know NOTHING about. This
41 machine has XFCE, Gnome and KDE. It has only 38 packages in the world
42 file and yet emerge -e @world would build 970 packages. That's a LOT
43 of unknown stuff for a user type like me to know anything about! (Or
44 honestly, I probably know _NOTHING_ at all about at least 900 of those
45 packages...)
46
47 Cheers,
48 Mark