From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev-197 USE=kmod
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 02:24:31
1 On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Hi list!
3 >
4 > Quick question: If I deactivate the kmod use flag in udev and keep
5 > sys-apps/module-init-tools, does udev still load modules or is kmod a
6 > required flag for that?
7
8 I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think so. The git repository has not a
9 single instance of the strings "modprobe" or "insmod", apparently the
10 only way to load modules in udev is to use kmod. I think the kmod
11 configure option (which is the one the USE flag activate/deactivate),
12 is for systems where all the modules are built-in, like embedded ones.
13
14 Unless udev has no other means to load modules, I think disabling kmod
15 assumes then that all the modules are built-in. And if you use
16 modules, may I ask why you would prefer module-init-tools over kmod?
17 Specially when the later is a drop-in, better supported replacement?
18
19 Regards.
20 --
21 Canek Peláez Valdés