From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Editing PDF and/or postscript
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 23:41:32
1 On Tuesday 13 June 2006 23:54, JimD wrote:
2 > Are there any tools/editors to edit a pdf or ps file? I am
3 > digitizing some books. I have the books as pdf and can convert
4 > that to postscript, text, html.
5 >
6 > I would like to be able to insert a few graphics into the PDF
7 > files. I could convert to plain text, edit in OOo and export to
8 > PDF. However, I lose all formatting doing that.
9 >
10 > I was hoping there were tools/editors for PDF/PS. What the heck do
11 > book writers use? I hope not a word processor. I am only working
12 > with small books and it is a pain to have to deal with layout.
13
14 If the original is plain text without loads of graphics and fancy
15 layout, koffice does a reasonable job of reading .pdf
16
17 pdf wasn't really intended to be edited. It's actual purpose is as a
18 final presentation format, so editing it is a somewhat like taking
19 compiled code and expecting to be able to get the original C back
22 If only me, you and dead people understand hex,
23 how many people understand hex?
24
25 Alan McKinnon
26 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
27 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list