From: "Jc García" <jyo.garcia@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] minimal installation cd vs system rescue cd
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 16:04:38
1 2015-07-01 9:17 GMT-06:00 <gottlieb@×××.edu>:
2 > My new laptop should arrive this month. It will presumably support
3 > UEFI, which I have never used before.
4 >
5 > I have two questions.
6 >
7 > 1. The gentoo handbook favors using the minimal installation CD. I
8 > downloaded the iso, verified it's integrity, and "burned" it to a USB
9 > stick with dd.
10 >
11 > However the wiki page "UEFI_Dual_boot_with_Windows_7/8" says to use a
12 > system rescue CD. Is that required or can I use the minimal
13 > installation CD?
14 >
15 You could use almost any distro to install gentoo, I have done it
16 before, even my first install was the first livecd i found in my CDs
17 case(LinuxMint), after reading the instructions I didn't found
18 anything that actually made it a MUST to use the recommendations of
19 the handbook.
20
21 > 2. The handbook, when discussing Booting the installation CD, says
22 >
23 > Important
24 > When installing Gentoo with the purpose of using the UEFI interface
25 > instead of BIOS, it is recommended to boot with UEFI immediately. If
26 > not, then it might be necessary to create a bootable UEFI USB stick
27 > (or other medium) once before finalizing the Gentoo Linux
28 > installation.
29 >
30 > I don't understand what I am to do? Must I change the USB stick to
31 > somehow specify UEFI? Or will the laptop firmware ask me whether to
32 > boot UEFI? Or something else?
33 >
34 This is so the EFI information is available inside the booted OS. if
35 you don't boot using EFI this information is not available(I'm not
36 100% sure about this, it's just what I remember at the top of my head)
37
38 I remember from reading this list you use GNOME thus systemd, then I
39 would highly recommend doing the install with a systemd livecd, it
40 makes it so much practical to get to the chroot and you can test if
41 your userspace boots right without needing to reboot thanks to nspawn.
42
43 Here's a quick description of the procces, using a systemd live
44 media(I will put the obvious just for completeness):
45 1. Get the stage3 and the livecd you'll use
46 2. boot
47 3. mkdir /mnt/gentoo and get the partition(s) where the installation
48 will be, ready and mounted
49 4. tar -xvjpf the stage 3 into /mnt/gentoo
50 5. cd /mnt/gentoo && systemd-nspawn (this is the replacement for
51 chroot, it mounts /dev/, /proc, and /sys for you)
52 6. get the portage tree
53 7. eselect a systemd profile, I would use the
54 minimal(default/linux/amd64/13.0/systemd) temporarily so I don't have
55 to build all of GNOME before booting.
56 8. emerge -avuDN @world (will get systemd installed) and
57 9. set a passoword for root and exit the shell, and boot the newly
58 installed systemd with # systemd-nspawn -b
59 10. Configure timezone(timedatectl), locale.gen, locale(localectl),
60 fstab... etc.
61 11. get a boot loader(Gummiboot the recommendation, and to the dislike
62 of some, soon part of the systemd package, so systemd will come with a
63 bootloader)
64 12. Get a kernel (CONFIG_EFI_STUB is needed to boot with gummiboot)
65 13. boot and change profile to a gnome one, and emerge gnome or gnome-minimal.
66
67 Personally I find that installing Gentoo with systemd is more
68 practical, mainly because of nspwan.