From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel config setting for console scroll back
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 03:49:38
1 Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> [17-02-17 04:20]:
2 >
3 > In make menuconfig, under:
4 > Device Drivers → Graphics support → Console display driver support
5 > (700) Scrollback Buffer Size (in KB)
6 >
7 > I think the default was 64 but I like a big scrollback buffer.
8 >
9 > As you see I set 700 but really didn't have much of an idea what that
10 > would be in lines.
11 >
12 > Can any one offer a close guestimate what 700 kb would be in lines.
13 >
14 > That is pretty close to 1 mb isn't it?... but still what is that in
15 > lines? I'm guessing 1 MB might be around 10,000 lines. Is that even
16 > roughly close... if so I probably should have went higher.
20 Hi Harry,
21
22 Depends a little, what base you choose. Commandlines tends to be
23 shorter than for example lines printed with the dmesg command.
24
25 To get you an idea, how much "much" is:
26
27 # supposing that you have command history enabled with you shell
28 # prints the bytes count and the number of lines . You only need to
29 # devide one by the other
30 > history -1000 | dd | wc -l
31
32 # for the other estimation you can do this
33 > dmesg | dd | wc -l
36 HTH!
37 Cheers
38 Meino