From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: After /usr conflation: why not copy booting software to /sbin rather than initramfs?
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 01:31:50
1 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 7:35 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Apr 3, 2012 7:26 AM, "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
7 >>>> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >>>>> Neil Bothwick wrote:
9 >>>>>> zgrep DEVTMP /proc/config.gz
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>>
12 >>>>> Ooops, it sort of snipped a bit much. lol Here you go:
13 >>>>>
14 >>>>> root@fireball / # zgrep DEVTMP /proc/config.gz
15 >>>>> # CONFIG_DEVTMPFS is not set
16 >>>>> root@fireball / #
17 >>>>>
18 >>>>> Looks like a nope to me. ;-)
19 >>>>
20 >>>> That was the reason for asking for your /usr/src/linux/.config file.
21 >>>> The udev ebuild ask for:
22 >>>>
23 >>>> CONFIG_CHECK="~BLK_DEV_BSG ~DEVTMPFS ~HOTPLUG ~INOTIFY_USER ~NET
24 >>>> ~PROC_FS ~SIGNALFD ~SYSFS ~!IDE ~!SYSFS_DEPRECATED
25 >>>> ~!SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2"
26 >>>>
27 >>>> The dracut ebuild ask for:
28 >>>>
29 >>>> CONFIG_CHECK="~BLK_DEV_INITRD ~DEVTMPFS ~MODULES"
30 >>>>
31 >>>> So please check that you have all those options (and don't have the
32 >>>> ones with !), recompile your kernel, and reboot.
33 >>>>
34 >>>> Also, the divergence between /boot/kernel... and (hd0,0)/kernel... in
35 >>>> your grub could be causing funny things. Check that also.
36 >>>>
37 >>>> Regards.
38 >>>
39 >>>
40 >>> OK. I hate modules. Can they be built into the kernel? The only
41 >>> module I have is nvidia for my video card.
42 >>>
43 >>> Also, if you can put this in one email, what about the /dev line in fstab?
44 >>>
45 >>> I didn't check the ebuild but I don't recall seeing anything when I
46 >>> emerged dracut either. o_O Maybe we are on to something here. ^_O
47 >>>
48 >>
49 >> AFAIK DEVTMPFS is not a module. You either turn it on or off. Of course,
50 >> you'll need a whole-kernel compile, but that's it.
51 >>
52 >> If you use menuconfig, IIRC there's another option right under DEVTMPFS' one
53 >> that offers to mount devtmpfs on boot. If you turn that on, you *might* get
54 >> away without a /dev in fstab.
55 >
56 > Dale doesn't need /dev on fstab (nobody does); I only asked about it
57 > since I had no information about the dracut failure trying to mount
58 > /dev.
59 >
60 > Now I think we have enough information, and I hope that when Dale
61 > recompiles his kernel and reboots, everything will work.
62 >
63 > Regards.
66 Storm seems to have slowed down so Dale is about to reboot. Dale hopes
67 this init thingy works too. < crosses fingers, toes, eyes and anything
68 else crossable >
69
70 I also saved the old line that works, just in case. This is me after
71 all. lol
72
73 Dale
74
78 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
79 how you interpreted my words!
80
81 Miss the compile output? Hint:
82 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"