From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] Disappointing USB3 performance
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 17:30:11
1 I just bought an add-on USB3 adapter and outboard USB3/sata docking
2 station, and I've been comparing the performance with my old e-sata
3 outboard docking station. Not so good :(
4
5 After getting some unreliable results with hdparm, I settled on
6 copying one 3GB file from one partition of the outboard drive to
7 another partition of the same drive. These results are highly
8 reproducible, and favor e-sata over USB3 by a large margin.
9
10 Over at least six trials on each docking station I consistently
11 get 105 seconds for USB and 84 seconds for e-sata, a 5:4 ratio
12 in favor of e-sata.
13
14 I used the same hard disk and the same pci-e slot in the same
15 minimally-loaded machine for all the runs, and got very consistent
16 results every time.
17
18 Basically, the USB3/sata docking station gets the same throughput as
19 the older sata 1 drives connected to the onboard pci sata controller,
20 which is still pretty respectable for an outboard drive, I think.
21
22 So, has anyone out there done similar tests on USB3 drives yet?