From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good/better/best filesystem for large, static video library?
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 17:58:30
1 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 12/25/2012 12:07 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 8:33 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
4 >>> On Dec 25, 2012 10:44 PM, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> <SNIP>
6 >>>> With the previous local drive I used ext3 and have had no problems.
7 >>>> I'm just wondering if there's a better choice & why.
8 >> <SNIP>
9 >>> For your usage, I think ext3 is the most suitable.
10 >>>
11 >>> Do you have another fs in mind?
12 >> Really, no. ext3 has been fine. I didn't see any real advantage to
13 >> ext4 myself. Florian offers the removal argument but I've never
14 >> removed files from this database. It's just movies so the systems just
15 >> grows over time.
16 >>
17 >> I suppose I wondered whether some other filesystem might get through
18 >> an fsck _much_ faster.
19 >>
20 > There's really no reason to use ext3 over ext4. Ext4 does have a faster
21 > fsck.
26 I have noticed the fsck is fast here too, faster than reiserfs anyway.
27 It seems ext4 is pretty fast with everything, at least in my eye. I
28 also found that ext4 has a defrag tool. It rarely finds any fragments
29 but at least it is available.
30
31 Dale
32
36 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!