From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ncurses; I think I wrecked my fresh install
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 16:35:44
1 > I don't know if this has improved over the years, but my initial
2 > experience with unicode was rather negative. The fact that text
3 > files were twice as large wasn't a major problem in itself. The
4 > real showstopper was that importing text files into spreadsheets
5 > and text-editors and word processors failed miseraby.
6 >
7 > I looked at a unicode text file with a binary viewer. It turns out
8 > that a simple text string like "1234" was actually...
9 > "1" binary-zero "2" binary-zero "3" binary-zero "4" binary zero, etc.
10
11 That's (as someone has already pointed out) UTF-16, which is the default for
12 some Windows tools (but understood in Linux too). (Even UTF-32 exists where
13 all characters are 4 byte wide, but I've never seen it in the wild.)
14
15 UTF-8 is normally used on Linux (and ASCII chars look exactly the same there);
16 even for "long characters" outside the ASCII range spreadsheets and word
17 processors should not be a problem anymore.
20 Andreas K. Hüttel
21 dilfridge@g.o
22 Gentoo Linux developer
23 (council, qa, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)