From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A question about Wikis... (A bit off topic...)
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 17:03:45
1 On 23 Sep 2008, at 16:21, Steve wrote:
2
3 > ... there are a number of 'key entities' - for example, Oil
4 > Companies; Oil Executives; Oil Fields; Oil Consultancies - etc.
5 > Hence, I know that I will be interested to develop a coherent
6 > profile of all the Oil Companies in a similar format. If I were to
7 > establish the market capitalisation for one oil company, I'd want to
8 > make it clear that this information is 'unknown' for other companies
9 > rather than simply not mention it. Similarly, for CEO; tax status -
10 > etc. When it comes to the directors, perhaps I want to establish
11 > "who's who" style information on them... where I'd collect their
12 > educational backgrounds; URLs for appearances in the press etc.
13 > ...
14 > Is there any existing software that does this sort of thing? A wiki
15 > goes part-way, but I'd want to be able to establish 'type' for
16 > pages... so that, for example, every record of a company has
17 > standard fields into which various statistics can be filled-in...
18 > and where URLs to external data is prompted...
19
20 To some extent a wiki can do a fair bit of what you ask.
21
22 On Wikipedia, for instance, books may use the "Book" Infobox construct
23 to state author, title, ISBN number, publisher & so on:
24 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Traveller%27s_Wife
25 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Infobox_Book
26
27 You can also categorise pages - someone simply added
28 "[[Category:Distributions]]" at the foot of http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/FreeBSD
29 and now it appears on the http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Category:Distributions
30 page.
31
32 The problem is that a wiki isn't a database, so I guess it depends how
33 flexible you want your data to be. I wouldn't be surprised if there
34 are database packages out there which allow you to store multiple
35 different types of information (company-type alongside CEO-type
36 alongside old-field-type), perhaps even link them and also add
37 flexible notes fields. I think I've read articles in the past about
38 such "flexible databases" - I think the author of Lotus Notes (or was
39 it 123?) has worked on one or proposed one or something. On the other
40 hand they may not handle versioning as well as a wiki, or have other
41 shortcomings. You may find that a wiki, alongside a good web-search
42 engine installed on the same server, does what you need.
43
44 Stroller.