From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [HEADSUP] libreoffice versus bison-2.5
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 18:29:57
1 On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 07:10:01PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 14:46 on Wednesday 25 May 2011, Indi did opine
3 > thusly:
4 >
5 > > For people already running kde it's ok, but for the rest of us
6 > > it's a bit ridiculous, isn't it?
7 > > I used to use a few "k" apps in the 3 days, they were small and
8 > > easily integrated into the system. Now kde is like it's own OS,
9 > > so they've basically eliminated their apps from consideration of
10 > > non-kde users.
11 > >
12 > > Not that it matters much to me, one of the strengths of gentoo
13 > > is how many ways there are to do a given task.
14 > > But there are quite a few kde zealots who seem to be completely
15 > > unaware of what we mean by "fast, light, standalone".
16 > >
17 > > I guess some people didn't experience the 80s or 90s.
18 > >
19 > > :)
20 >
21 > It doesn't make sense running koffice without also running KDE, it's a hard
22 > requirement.
23 >
24 > And not only did I experience the 80s and 90s, but the 70s as well.
25 >
26 > So now that you have defined what fast, light, standalone means by your
27 > current needs, it is obvious that no such package exists and hence there is a
28 > gap in the market.
29 >
30 > Now we know what your next project will be.
33 Writing a virus that destroys all msoffice installs once and for all
34 so we can finally just use sane formats editable as text?
35 :D
36
37 (kidding, of course, I would never do malware)
38
39 Actually, writing an add-on for vim that can edit word documents
40 is an idea I plan to look into when I get some time.
41 Right now I use up all my poor little brain's ability to focus
42 on other things, but maybe soon there'll be a break.
45 caveat utilitor