From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good/better/best filesystem for large, static video library?
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 18:27:48
1 On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 12/25/2012 12:07 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 8:33 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> On Dec 25, 2012 10:44 PM, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> <SNIP>
7 >>>> With the previous local drive I used ext3 and have had no problems.
8 >>>> I'm just wondering if there's a better choice & why.
9 >> <SNIP>
10 >>>
11 >>> For your usage, I think ext3 is the most suitable.
12 >>>
13 >>> Do you have another fs in mind?
14 >>
15 >> Really, no. ext3 has been fine. I didn't see any real advantage to
16 >> ext4 myself. Florian offers the removal argument but I've never
17 >> removed files from this database. It's just movies so the systems just
18 >> grows over time.
19 >>
20 >> I suppose I wondered whether some other filesystem might get through
21 >> an fsck _much_ faster.
24 > There's really no reason to use ext3 over ext4. Ext4 does have a faster
25 > fsck.
29 If the graph here
30
31 http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Improving_fsck_Speeds_in_Ext4
32
33 represents real speed improvement then it's likely worth it to me. The
34 drive is doubling in size but initially the data isn't. (500GB getting
35 rsync'ed to 1TB)
36
37 As I have no immediate needs for the older drive I will give ext4 a
38 try and just hang on to the old drive&data for a few months and see
39 how it goes. I'd do that anyway in case the new drive has an infant
40 mortality issue show up, but really the backup is the 1TB on the TV
41 which is stable and in use for over a year with no smartctl issues.
42 (yet) However that drive is FAT formatted so I don't really want to
43 depend on it for anything long term.
44
45 I wonder if there's anything to be said for changing block sizes, etc.
46 away from whatever the defaults are? All of the files are currently
47 between 350MB & 1.2GB so there's never going to be many more than 2K
48 files on the drive and I'm assuming the rsync operation if file by
49 file so fragmentation in the beginning, and probably over time, is
50 going to be pretty low I think.
51
52 Thanks for the info.
53