From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Error during boot up.
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 10:28:53
1 On Thursday, December 20, 2018 9:12:43 AM CET Dale wrote:
2 > J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > On December 20, 2018 4:41:26 AM UTC, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > Howdy,
5 > >
6 > > I just installed a new video card. After a couple weeks of USPS
7 > > dragging it around, it finally came in. Anyway, I got it installed
8 > > and
9 > > was booting up. I noticed somewhere between the kernel part and it
10 > > going through the runlevel part, there was something that failed. I
11 > > saw
12 > > a little red colored text and the word failed but I found one bad
13 > > thing
14 > > about a really fast CPU. It scrolls by so fast, I can't tell what it
15 > > is. It is almost a blur when it scrolls up. It's not a service
16 > > because
17 > > rc-status shows all green. I'm not sure that lists everything tho
18 > > since
19 > > it seems a little light on the number of services.
20 > >
21 > > At some point way back, I recall there being a logger that picks up
22 > > the
23 > > area between when dmesg is logging and when syslog or friends start
24 > > logging to the message file. I think this is where the error is. I
25 > > can't find tool now. I also can't find anything else in /var/log
26 > > either. Am I wrong on having this or did it die off in the tree and
27 > > got
28 > > removed? If so, is there something that picks up that area of the
29 > > boot
30 > > up process as far as errors go? My system seems to work fine but I'd
31 > > like to know what that error was. It may cause a problem at some
32 > > point
33 > > and could even be the problem with that random reboot I had in another
34 > > thread.
35 > >
36 > > Thanks.
37 > >
38 > > Dale
39 > >
40 > > :-) :-)
41 > >
42 > > P. S. I did reseat all the power cables to the mobo while I was
43 > > swapping video cards. Hoping that may help with that weird reboot
44 > > thing
45 > > I had going on. BTW, it hasn't happened since the one I started the
46 > > thread about either. Weird.
47 > >
48 > > In "rc.conf" there is an option to log to /var/log/rc.log or similar.
49 > > Not near a working system, so can't check actual option.
50 > >
51 > > --
52 > > Joost
53 >
54 > That gave me the clue I needed. I was looking for a package. No wonder
55 > I couldn't find it. It was disabled in rc.conf for some reason
56
57 By default, it is disabled. My guess is that you accidentally overwrote that
58 setting at some point.
59
60 > and
61 > based on the last date of the log file, it has been for a while, which
62 > is why I thought something got cleaned out or something. I now have
63 > this set:
67 > # NOTE: Linux systems require the devfs service to be started before
68 > # logging can take place and as such cannot log the sysinit runlevel.
69 > rc_logger="YES"
70 >
71 > # Through rc_log_path you can specify a custom log file.
72 > # The default value is: /var/log/rc.log
73 > rc_log_path="/var/log/rc.log"
76 > Thanks for the help. When I boot next time, maybe it will log the error
77 > and I can see what is going on.
78
79 Make sure that path is mounted soon. Eg, that it isn't on a seperate
80 mountpoint.
83 Joost