From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is it sefe to unmerge?
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:25:06
1 On Wednesday 13 February 2008, Sergey Kobzar wrote:
2 > Hi
3 >
4 > 'emerge -pv --depclean' shows that these packages may be unmerged:
5 <snip detail>
6 > app-crypt/hashalot
7 > sys-libs/pwdb
8 > sys-apps/attr
9 >
10 > Is it safe to remove they from the system? This is mail server and
11 > has mostly no additional packages except exim, mysql, spamassassin
12 > and some other.
13
14 This means that you never explicitly merged them, they are not in world
15 and are no longer required by anything else. There are normally three
16 reasons:
17
18 - you merged something that needed these packages, then unmerged them
19 later, leaving these dependencies orphaned
20 - you merged something else that used them, and in a recent update they
21 are now using something else that provides the same functionality
22 - they were required by some USE flag you once had, and you have now
23 changed your USE, so the deps are no longer required.
24
25 You'll need to look at each package and figure out if YOU need them, as
26 we can't tell you that. I might think that you don't need your wife
27 under any circumstances, and you might strongly disagree :-)
28
29 I once knew what hashalot does. I forgot. It's something to do with
30 cryptography
31 pwdb is used as a password and user account configuration thingy. Looks
32 pretty important :-)
33 attr provides extended attributes to ext2/3 and XFS file systems, used
34 by selinux and posix capabilities. If you use these features, you
35 already are aware of it.
36
37 When you figure out which ones to keep, it's best to put them in your
38 world file. Either edit /var/lib/portage/world and stick the name at
39 the end, or run 'emerge -n <package-name>'
42 Alan McKinnon
43 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
46 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list