From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can one tell me: gentoo vs opensuse
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 23:53:38
1 On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 03:40:02PM +0100, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > On Dec 10, 2011 8:50 PM, "LinuxIsOne" <[1]linuxisone@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > ----- >8 snip
8 > > I have come to conclusion that almost all Linux work almost in the
9 > > same way since they have the same kernel, however, this is what I
10 > > think.
11 >
12 > I don't mean to scare you, but most Linux distros work differently.
13 >
14 > First, there might be differences in how they install a package.
15 > There's RPM, apt, pacman, portage, and others.
16 >
17 > Second, there are differences in the "init" system. Gentoo users
18 > OpenRC, Ubuntu uses upstart, and others use SysVinit, systemd, and so
19 > on.
20 >
21 > And even you can't guarantee that the kernels are the same. Many
22 > distros introduce their own distro-specific patches to the vanilla
23 > kernel. With Gentoo, it's even more complicated, as most experienced
24 > Gentooroids will configure and compile their own kernels.
25 >
26 > (The last paragraph, however, is the reason why Gentoo is so secure:
27 > attackers can't be sure that the vuln they're targeting is located at
28 > the right spot, *if* the vuln exists at all. Throw in hardened patches
29 > like GrSecurity, PAX, and SELinux... well, you get the idea.)
30
31 Probably he doesn't; one has to learn a bit before any of this will
32 make sense to them. Imagine having this converstaion with your
33 great-aunt Agnes... ;)
36 > ((No wonder NASDAQ uses Gentoo for its infrastructure))
39 Indeed.