From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Intel SRT + SSD + SATA
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 23:42:48
1 On 26/06/2013 00:24, Mick wrote:
2 >> Use soft raid, its performance is at least as good (there was a report
3 >> > saying it was usually better, even against some lower end dedicated raid
4 >> > cards which were resource constrained), and its portable.
5 >> >
6 >> > Thats not to say "dont use the box" - the disk interfaces are usually
7 >> > very good performers in standard mode so just dont use the raid mode.
8 >
9 > I don't really need RAID, but want to safeguard my SSD installed OS, ideally
10 > automatically so.
11
12 Why? With an i7 and SSD you can recreate it from scratch in 90 minutes
13 and all you need is to mirror /etc/portage somewhere
14
15 What you want to protect is your *data* and that you will probably have
16 on the spinning disk
17
18 Perhaps it would be beneficial to define exactly what you want to
19 accomplish. This of course is hard to do, most folk stop at "copy this
20 stuff here to over there" and never think it through
21
22 do you want a regular raid-style mirror so that you can survive loss of
23 one disk?
24 do you want regular copies of $STUFF in case you have a blonde moment
25 and delete something?
26 Do you want restore snapshots in the style of Apple TimeMachine or
27 Windows's restore points?
28
29 These are mutually exclusive hence why you must define what you want to
30 achieve
33 Alan McKinnon
34 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com