From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] CUPS - Some apps see printers, some do not
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 03:05:56
1 Hi,
2 I'm looking around in vain for info on why some apps (Open Office
3 apps for instance) see printers while other apps (Evolution and
4 Firefox for instance) do not. Apps that don't work seem to offer print
5 to file and print to LPR. On the other hand Open Office provides only
6 the obscenely ugly CUPS printer name
7 "HP_LaserJet_M1522nf_MFP_192.168.1.5". The printer does work from Open
8 Office and printing test pages.
9
10 Are default names like that a problem for Gnome which is the
11 environment my dad is using?
12
13 The machine is remote so I'm having to ssh in and run apps remotely.
14
15 On my machine running Gnome I didn't find any global configuration
16 for printing in the system menus. I typically run XFCE so I'm not
17 deeply familiar with what Gnome offers in terms of printer setup.
18
19 Thanks in advance,
20 Mark