From: Urs Schutz <u.schutz@×××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Running programs compiled with a different gcc version
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 20:25:09
1 Yesterday I manually compiled photivo, a camera raw file
2 converter and image editor. One of the requirements for
3 installing is gcc 4.6. So I manually unmasked gcc 4.6.3
4 and installed it with portage.
5 After switching gcc with gcc-config and . /etc/profile,
6 photivo compiled fine.
7 A test run showed that photivo is running fine.
8
9 I simply do not know enough about gcc and gentoo to leave
10 gcc at 4.6.3, and switched back to the stable 4.5 branch
11 (gcc-config and . /etc/profile again).
12
13 When I try to run photivo again I get an error:
14 photivo: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.3/libstdc++.so.6:
15 version `GLIBCXX_3.4.15' not found (required by photivo)
16
17 locate -i glibcxx shows no results.
18
19 My question is: Can I set some variables (e.g. in a bash
20 start script) that photivo thinks it is running on a system
21 with gcc 4.6? All the components are installed, as I can
22 switch gcc to 4.6.3 and run photivo as user.
23
24 I do not see any changes in environment variables before
25 and after switching gcc versions. What magic does
26 gcc-config do?
27
28 Urs