From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] NFS tutorial for the brain dead sysadmin?
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 02:47:47
1 In this case, the brain dead sysadmin would be moi :)
2
3 For years I've been using NFS to share /usr/portage with all of the
4 gentoo machines on my LAN.
5
6 Problem: occasionally it stops working for no apparent reason.
7
8 Example: two days ago I updated two ~amd64 gentoo machines, both of
9 which have been mounting /usr/portage as NFS3 shares for at least a
10 year with no problems.
11
12 One machine worked normally after the update, the other was unable to
13 mount /usr/portage because rpc.statd wouldn't start correctly.
14
15 After two frustrating days I discovered that I had never enabled the
16 rpcbind.service on the "broken" machine. So I enabled rpcbind, which
17 fixed the breakage.
18
19 So, why did the "broken" machine work normally for more than a year
20 without rpcbind until two days ago? (I suppose because nfs-utils was
21 updated to 1.3.0 ?)
22
23 The real problem here is that I have no idea how NFS works, and each
24 new version is more complicated because the devs are solving problems
25 that I don't understand or even know about.
26
27 So, please, what's the best way to learn and understand NFS?
28
29 Thanks for any clues.