From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] <OT>: virtual Windows solution...
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 16:44:26
1 On 7/13/06, Jarry <jarry@×××.net> wrote:
2 > - to use "Windows emulator" aka Wine (I know, it is NOT emulator)
3 > - or to use "PC emulator" + Windows installed (like VMware) ???
4
5 IME wine still has a lot of stabilty and compatibility issues, at
6 least for the things software I need to run. But it get's better all
7 the time, so you should try it. Be sure to use the ~arch version, and
8 you will get new versions of wine within a day or so of them being
9 released. One caveat: there have been problems getting wine to build
10 on the x86_64 hosts.
11
12 PC virtualization software (qemu+kqemu, vmware) with windows installed
13 gives you by far the best compatibility and of those, I find vmware to
14 be the most complete solution. I highly recommend this! One
15 possibility here is to use a trial version of workstation to create
16 your virtual machine, and then use the free vmware-player to run it.
17
18 The only really serious problem I've had with vmware is that it has
19 trouble keeping track of time on some systems (laptops). There are
20 (ugly) workarounds for this, so let me know if you run into this.
21
22 -Richard
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list