From: "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Travelling in Greece, need advice
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 05:16:42
1 On Jul 5, 2005, at 10:53 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2
3 > On Wednesday 06 July 2005 03:29, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
7 >>> I would not trust a wifi setup by a unknown 3rd party to do online
8 >>> banking.
9 >>>
10 >>> The security of the average wifi is pretty low. Because of
11 >>> lazyness, stupidity
12 >>> or bugs.
13 >>>
14 >>
15 >> However, any good bank will have SSL for the higher level protocols,
16 >> and the wifi should be as secure as public wired connections (ie DSL
17 >> etc). (which is to say, not secure). If you trust your cable modem
18 >> or DSL to do SSL-enabled online banking, you should be ok with the
19 >> wifi
23 > hm, you want to tell me, that it is as easy to get into the
24 > computer room,
25
26 No need to get into the computer room. Plenty of cables leading out
27 of the computer room. I could tap any of my neighbors cable lines or
28 phone lines without them knowing and without going into their house.
29
30 Once you get outside the computer room you are on the unprotected
31 internet, whether you are on wifi or DSL or cable or modem to get there.
32
33 Chad
34
35 > hack a line and listen, than to hold an atenna in the right direction?
36 >
37 > --
38 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
42 ---
43 Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
44 Your Web App and Email hosting provider
45 chad@×××××.net
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list