From: Ted Miller <limaohio123-CompMailLists@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] tif libraries being ignored
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 21:54:33
1 I am new to Gentoo (not new to Linux), and am trying to do a Gentoo
2 install to handle my photo needs. I have emerged cinepaint, gimp,
3 hugin, KPhotoAlbum, Krita and ufraw (for starters).
4
5 Things work pretty well EXCEPT that the KDE based applications cannot
6 handle *.tif files. I have the media-libs/tiff package emerged, but for
7 some reason the KDE subsystem does not seem to be using it.
8
9 What doesn't even list .tif files as graphics files:
10 KView
11
12 What doesn't work with .tif files:
13 krita preview in File>Open dialog
14 KPhotoAlbum does not show .tif files
15 gimp lists the files, but puts up an error message when it attempts to
16 open the file
17 KView
18
19 What does work with .tif files:
20 Krita will open them (just not preview them)
21 hugin
22 cinepaint (not KDE based)
25 If I tell konqueror to open a .tif file with KView, the KView status bar
26 says "Unknown image format: /"...."/A00001658.1.tif"
27
28 If I tell konqueror to open a .tif file with GIMP, I get two GIMP Messages:
29 PDB calling error: Procedure 'file-tiff-load' not found.
30 Opening '/.../A00001658.1.tif' failed: raw image plug-in could not open
31 image
32
33 I have run
34 emerge --update --deep --newuse world
35 revdep-rebuild
36 with no improvement
37
38 Any insight into what I need to do to get this working will be greatly
39 appreciated. Please be explicit (or include links to documentation) if
40 I have to do anything unusual, but I will be glad to send any needed
41 information to help you diagnose my problem.
42
43 Ted Miller
44 Indiana, USA