From: Andrea Conti <alyf@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problem with pam
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 19:27:14
1 On 29/10/11 19.47, co wrote:
2 > After I run e2fsck -c on /var partition.I have re-emerged pam. So I
3 > think there is something wrong with my hard disc.
4
5 Why do you think that? Did badblocks identify any specific problems?
6
7 A failing hard disk generally shows very obvious symptoms (noises,
8 periodic system lockups due to read retries, I/O errors in the kernel
9 log) before getting to the point of causing the widespread filesystem
10 corruption you seem to be experiencing.
11
12 Ext4 is generally quite resilient even when handled roughly, so I would
13 tend to suspect a memory issue. That's just a guess, though, since you
14 didn't provide much information.
15
16 > something Error and Warning on boot time,and after startx mouse can't
17 > move. So how to fix the hard disc now?
18
19 As Mick said, you don't fix a hard disk, you try to salvage whatever is
20 on it and then you go for a replacement.
21
22 However, your first priority should be to rule out memory issues: doing
23 any kind of data recovery operation on a machine with defective memory
24 is a recipe for disaster.
25
26 andrea