From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Who believes in cylinders?
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 01:31:28
1 On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 4:09 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 > The recent thread about the new disks with 1024-byte sectors has me
4 > even more confused.
5
6 <hehe> Very sorry. ;-)
9 > IIUC the new disks *do* care (at least) about where a partition
10 > begins relative to it's own 1024-byte hardware sectors, and that
11 > part makes perfect sense.
12
13 And that is really the important point from that thread.
16 > But, to me, that still leaves the "cylinder" as a completely useless
17 > fiction that needs to join MSDOS in the scrap heap of history.
18
19 I believe you're correct.
22 > Am I right to separate the 1024-byte sector problem from "cylinders"
23 > as being two entirely different and orthogonal ideas?
24
25 Yes. Cylinders do exist on the disk but they are not something to be
26 used anymore.
29 > Is there really any need for the "cylinder" these days?
30
31 No, not as I understand it.
32
33 There may be some bits of software that suggest they can use them, but
34 I think with the advent of LBA directly addressing CHS is now retired
35 with only sector addressing being important due to the way the data is
36 physically placed on the drive. Who cares what cylinder it's on, and
37 who cares which head is getting the data? It doesn't matter to us
38 users...
39
40 Cheers,
41 Mark