From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Franklin Wang <touch21st@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fwd: How about the gentoo server or cluster in production environment?
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 14:36:56
1 Hi,
2
3 On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 07:40:59 +0800 Franklin Wang wrote:
4 > I'm not familiar with gentoo server and cluster. So could you tell me
5 > the experience about them? Thanks.
6
7 We have successful experience with Gentoo on both production servers
8 (someone call this area "enterprise", though I dislike such name) and
9 HPC setups.
10
11 In short,
12 Procs:
13 - fine-tuned setups;
14 - really large choice of components;
15 - high-performance setups (especially rocks for HPC);
16 - reduced attack surface;
17 - nontrivial attack surface;
18 - large system updates easy (comparted to e.g. RHEL4 -> RHEL5
19 migration);
20 - easier to add and maintain out-of-tree software.
21 Cons:
22 - much longer time for initial setup;
23 - harder to apply routine updates;
24 - poorly suitable for tasks like: "create me this new service ASAP
25 (for which you don't have prepared images), preferably yesterday".
26 Other notes:
27 - requires more qualified personnel to maintain.
28
29 Best regards,
30 Andrew Savchenko