From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question re: make.conf/profile location change
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 16:03:53
1 Am Sun, 11 Aug 2013 11:58:48 -0400
2 schrieb Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>:
3
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > Was reviewing older news items and was wondering about this one:
7 >
8 > "# eselect news read 12
9 > 2012-09-09-make.conf-and-make.profile-move
10 > Title make.conf and make.profile move
11 > Author Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
12 > Posted 2012-09-09
13 > Revision 1
14 >
15 > Starting next week, new stages will have make.conf and make.profile
16 > moved from /etc to /etc/portage. This is a change in the installation
17 > defaults, that will only affect new installs so it doesn't affect
18 > current systems.
19 >
20 > Current users don't need to do anything. But if you want to follow the
21 > preferred location, you may want to take the chance to move the files
22 > in your system(s) to the new location."
23 >
24 > My question is, what if they are in both locations? Which ones are used?
25 > I would assume that portage now looks first in /etc/portage and uses
26 > those if it finds them, and if not, looks in /etc - but the news item is
27 > incomplete on this question.
28
29 When in doubt, read the man page (make.conf(5)):
30
31 "[...]
32 DESCRIPTION
33 This file contains various variables that are used by Portage. Portage will check
34 the currently-defined environment variables first for any settings. If no environ‐
35 ment settings are found, Portage then checks the make.conf files. Both
36 /etc/make.conf and /etc/portage/make.conf are checked (if present), and settings
37 from /etc/portage/make.conf will override settings from /etc/make.conf. [...]"
38
39 HTH
40 --
41 Marc Joliet
42 --
43 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
44 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup