From: "Budd
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo still on the right path?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:40:37
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Nick Rout
3 > Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 3:12 PM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo still on the right path?
8 > On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 11:20:36 -0500
9 > Derek Tracy wrote:
10 >
11 > > Part way through the online handbook I noticed that they
12 > standardized
13 > > the Stage3 install. I figured that since the developers
14 > thought it was
15 > > best to use a Stage3 install then why not give it a shot.
16 >
17 > I read your message and was surprised at this. Last time I
18 > read the handbooks the Handbook gave stage 1/2/3 options and
19 > the 2005.1 handbook stuck to stage 3. (Talking x86 here, I
20 > have never done an instal on other architectures).
21 >
22 > Now, like you, I read this in the Handbook:
23 >
24 > "Make sure you download a stage3 tarball - installations
25 > using a stage1 or stage2 tarball are not supported anymore."
26 >
27 > WTF? When did this happen?
28 >
29 > --
30 > Nick Rout
31 >
32 > --
33 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
36 This one caught me off guard as well. I am used to installing from a
37 stage 1 tarball. When I recently installed to my new AMD64 machine, I
38 was surprised to see this was no longer covered in the handbook. It was
39 easily fixed with an emerge system though.
40 -tracy
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list