From: Jorge Morais <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Accidentally issued hdparm -X /dev/hda on running system
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 05:45:25
1 On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 07:00:21 +0300
2 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
5 > >
6 > > I then shut the computer down and I writing this from a liveCD.
7 > > I do not even want to access the disk read only without knowing I have
8 > > not messed up.
9 > >
10 > > So: does anybody know if hdparm -X /dev/hda is safe (on a running system...)?
11 >
12 > This setting, like most other hdparm commands, is just temporary. As
13 > soon as you reset the drive (happens during a reboot) all goes back to
14 > the defaults.
15 I know it is temporary. The problem is that I issued hdparm -X /dev/hda,
16 and hda holds /, swap and everything. The system was in multiuser
17 mode. I fear that the command could have messed up the hard disk,
18 and caused data corruption.
19 I have taken a look at the hdparm source code, and I see that
20 hdparm -X /dev/hda is indeed equivalent to hdparm -X 0 /dev/hda
21 But I still don't know if this is safe. I cannot continue to
22 investigate the source code because it gets to an ioctl
23 about which I know nothing (I think this would be a *lot* of
24 research).
25
26 I have since fsck'ed all relevant partitions in /dev/hda and they
27 came up clean.
28 Am I safe?