From: Ryan Holt <carpenike@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Writing to a 256MB Rom
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 22:33:21
1 Okays. So assuming it's NVRAM, is that something that I'm likely going to be
2 able to write to without some type of equipment?
3
4 On 3/1/06, Toby 'qubit' Cubitt <tsc25@××××××.net> wrote:
5 >
6 > On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 04:16:33PM -0500, Ryan Holt wrote:
7 > > Is there any difference between ROM and NVRam?
8 >
9 > Yes. ROM is a WORM medium (write once, ready many times). The data
10 > stored in a PROM (programmable read only memory) is literally burned
11 > in by applying high-voltage pulses to the chip.
12 >
13 > There's also EPROM (eraseable PROM) which can be erased by exposing
14 > the chip to ultraviolet light, and EEPROM (electrically eraseable
15 > PROM). If we're being pedantic, ROM is a misnomer for these, since
16 > they're not really "write once".
17 >
18 > NVRAM (non-volatile random access memory) is similar to EEPROM in some
19 > ways: it can be written and erased many times, and maintains its data
20 > even when power is disconnected. MRAM, FRAM, etc. are forms of
21 > NVRAM. Flash memory is I believe a more modern form of EEPROM. They
22 > all differ in the physical technology used on the chip, and have
23 > different properties, such as how many times the memory can be erased
24 > and rewritten, how fast writing and reading is, etc.
25 >
26 > Also, Wikipedia says:
27 >
28 > "...there is a convention to reserve the term EEPROM [for] byte-wise
29 > writable memories compared to block-wise writable flash memories."
30 >
31 > > I think I mis-spoke when I said ROM; because it's actually Non Volatile
32 > Ram.
33 >
34 > You *could* have meant PROM, but NVRAM sounds much more likely ;-)
35 >
36 > Toby
37 > --
38 > PhD Student
39 > Quantum Information Theory group
40 > Max Planck Institute for Quantum Optics
41 > Garching, Germany
42 >
43 > email: toby@××××××××.org
44 > web: www.dr-qubit.org