From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Frontier ADSL modem and IP address
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 14:03:47
1 On Tuesday, 31 December 2019 12:42:26 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, 31 December 2019 11:04:57 GMT Mick wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday, 31 December 2019 10:24:48 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > > > I'm puzzled. Why should a DSL modem be tied to a particular ISP? The
5 > > > only
6 > > > thing I can think of is that one uses PPPoA and the other PPPoE. But the
7 > > > modem should sort that out for itself when it connects upstream.
8 > >
9 > > ISPs looked into reducing their operating costs providing support to an
10 > > ever increasing population of technically clueless users and in
11 > > conjunction with router OEMs came up with a remote router provisioning
12 > > scheme. This allows firmware updates and remote control of the CPE
13 > > without the customer even knowing what is happening.
14 >
15 > I hadn't come across that before. I did wonder whether it was another
16 > example of control-freakery, but perhaps not.
17
18 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-069
19
20 In the UK I'm thinking of the 2Wire routers issued by BT to their business
21 account users. You could configure them for different ISPs, set them up in
22 fully bridged mode, etc., but then you had to also poison the DNS addresses
23 used for their provisioning servers to stop BT updating the firmware and
24 crippling some of its functionality.
25
26 I can't recall the ritual you had to entertain when changing their settings
27 from BT to another ISP, but it was not as simple as pressing the reset button.
28 You had to navigate to some (hidden?) menu option and change settings from
29 there.
32 Regards,
33 Mick