From: Ramces Tampo-og Red <rtr@××××××××.xyz>
To: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>, Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reproducible Installation Lists?
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 22:15:15
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> writes:
2 > Ramces Tampo-og Red wrote:
3 >> Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> writes:
4 >>
5 >>> Since you mention being new to Gentoo, don't forget the --oneshot or -1
6 >>> option when emerging things that should not be in the world file.
7 >>> Libraries are one thing that should rarely if ever be in that file.
8 >>> Once you get your install done and rarely install new packages, you can
9 >>> add that to the defaults in make.conf.  When I first started using
10 >>> Gentoo, I was bad to forget the -1 option and my world file was a mess.
11 >>> It can lead to all sorts of problems later on.  The only entries in the
12 >>> world file should be packages you install and use directly.  It's rare
13 >>> that anything else should be there.
14 >>>
15 >> Wait. Does this mean doing an emerge --ask foo-libs/lib or do you mean
16 >> the stuff that were pulled alongside packages? Since I do think that the
17 >> packages that I've installed certainly pulled libraries too.
18 >>
19 >>> Happy Gentooing.
20 >>>
21 >>> Dale
22 >>>
23 >>> :-)  :-)
24 >>>
25 >> Cheers, you too!
29 > Let's say you run the command emerge firefox because you plan to use it
30 > as a web browser.  It is very likely that it will pull in other packages
31 > that it needs to work.  But, emerge only records firefox in the world
32 > file as that is what you asked for.  When firefox updates later, emerge
33 > will find the update and if needed, pull in updates to packages it
34 > depends on that are required.  It may have several, it may not but none
35 > of those should be in world.  Only things you emerge should go in the
36 > world file.
37 >
38 > The way the world file gets things in it that shouldn't be there is when
39 > you run into a issue updating.  Let's say you sync and emerge can't find
40 > a clear path to update.  What most of us do is update in smaller parts
41 > one or two packages at a time.  Sometimes you may have to unmerge a
42 > package and emerge something else to help emerge along.  As you are
43 > doing that, you should use -1 for packages that you didn't install
44 > yourself such as Firefox.  One package that comes to mind is harfbuzz.
45 > There's another that goes with that but I forget the name.  If you run
46 > into that, those are packages other things depend on and they shouldn't
47 > be in the world file.  So, while getting around that, use the -1
48 > option.  In short, things like Firefox, libreoffice, digikam, okular and
49 > such are what belongs in world providing your aren't using a meta
50 > package that pulls them in.  Things those packages depend on should be
51 > managed by emerge itself during normal updates.
52 >
53 > Some one else may can explain that better.  Sometimes a different view
54 > makes things clearer.
55 >
56 > I just wish I knew some of that when I first started.  I started running
57 > into update problems and someone pointed out I should check my world
58 > file.  It was full of stuff that shouldn't be there and some even had
59 > versions which prevented updates.  It took me a while but I got it
60 > cleaned up and things worked fine.  That's when I added -1 to
61 > make.conf.  I've had a clean world file ever since.
64 I see. I will be wary of my world file from now on. I'm glad that you
65 mentioned this now since I don't have that much packages installed yet
66 and I haven't played around with the system enough that there's a chance
67 that it might break. Knowing this is really handy since it might not be
68 apparent when things that shouldn't be added in the world file are being
69 added to the world file.
70
71 > Tasytea has a good idea on using sets if you prefer that way.  I rarely
72 > use sets but a lot of people love them.  It does have benefits but it
73 > just isn't for me.
76 I am actually very interested with sets. I haven't read enough about it
77 though. But I think I will try it out, it might be a neater way of
78 dealing with packages.
79
80 > Hope that helps.
81 >
82 > Dale
83 >
87 It certainly did!
88
89 Cheers :-)
92 . * +
93 + Ang kalayaan ay dili gihatag, ini'y giabot.
94 * + {gopher,gemini}://kalayaan.xyz *
95 . C4AE 5D53 46A0 01DF 6E92 CB46 92D7 9FBB AB9F 3E37 .