From: Randy Barlow <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which -march flag to pick for Intel Core 2 Duo in make.conf?
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 07:28:25
1 On Thu, May 24, 2007 12:38 pm, Denis wrote:
2 > My aim is to build a fast, stable system for my
3 > computations, which ultimately brought me to another major decision:
4 > 32-bit or 64-bit... I run simulations which I write in C and
5 > numerical computations which I run in Mathematica (which has just
6 > released the 64-bit version). Would a 64-bit system significantly
7 > benefit these applications?
8
9 If you are using a lot of memory in your computations, then the 64-bit
10 environment will be much friendlier to you :) Also, if I understand
11 correctly, you will get higher precision on floating point calculations
12 (someone correct me if I am wrong here!) I also believe that the 64 bit
13 processors are able to perform more instructions per second on average
14 when executing 64 bit code vs. 32 bit code if I am not mistaken...
17 Randy Barlow
18 http://www.electronsweatshop.com
19 "Oh me of little faith..."
20 --