From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: Mapping random numbers (PRNG)
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 02:58:10
1 On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 8:46 PM, »Q« <boxcars@×××.net> wrote:
2 > On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 19:53:08 -0500
3 > Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 7:37 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
6 >> > On Sat, Jun 28 2014, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
7 >> >
8 >> >> That doesn't matter. Take a non-negative integer N; if you flip a
9 >> >> coin an infinite number of times, then the probability of the coin
10 >> >> landing on the same face N times in a row is 1.
11 >> >
12 >> > This is certainly true.
13 >> >
14 >> >> This means that it is *guaranteed* to happen
15 >> >
16 >> > That is not as clear.
17 >>
18 >> Let me be more precise (and please correct me if I'm wrong): It is
19 >> guaranteed to happen at some point in the infinite sequence of random
20 >> flip coins, but we cannot know when it will happen, only that it will
21 >> happen.
22 >>
23 >> That's the way I got it when I took my probability courses, admittedly
24 >> many years ago.
25 >
26 > The probability is 1 in the sense that the as the number of flips M
27 > increases, so does the probability of getting N heads (or tails) in a
28 > row also increases, and the upper bound for the sequence of
29 > probabilities is 1. It's not a probability about something which
30 > actually happens; no one so far has been able to flip a coin an
31 > infinite number of times, not even a computer.
32
33 And no one will. Ever.
34
35 >> In any way, even if I'm wrong and it is not guaranteed, the main point
36 >> remains true: the probability of getting a large sequence of the same
37 >> number from a RNG is 1 for every true random RNG, and therefore seeing
38 >> a large sequence of the same number form a RNG doesn't (technically)
39 >> means that it is broken.
40 >
41 > It's true that that wouldn't *prove* the generator is broken. But it
42 > might be a good reason to take another look at the algorithm.
43
44 Agreed.
45
46 Regards.
47 --
48 Canek Peláez Valdés
49 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias