From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Random reboots. Where to start?
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 20:24:51
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 27 February 2011 17:15:40 Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 2011-02-26, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> This appears to be a corrupt file somewhere.
7 >>>
8 >> In my experice, failing RAM often appears as a corrupt file
9 >> somewhere.
10 >>
11 > Yep, when I had a failing memory module I would often end up with corrupted
12 > files all over the place. Think about it, when the memory gave up some write
13 > on disk function was invariably foo-barred.
16 This was my logic tho. Reboots when using the OS on the hard drive.
17 Runs fine when booted from something else, memtest, system rescue or
18 even Knoppix. If it was memory, then it should fail on everything at
19 some point. Since it only failed when booted from the hard drive, I was
20 looking for issues with it.
21
22 What you are saying is completely correct tho. If I load a file into
23 ram that is bad, then it gets written back to the drive, that file is
24 broke. That will cause problems eventually and who knows what sort of
25 flakey issue that will be.
26
27 Anyway, recompiling everything gives me this:
28
29 root@fireball / # uptime
30 14:05:46 up 1 day, 5:29, 4 users, load average: 0.43, 0.24, 0.23
31 root@fireball / #
32
33 I think it is going to be OK now. Some file was having a bad hair day.
34 lol
35
36 Dale
37