From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chicken <--> egg (NFS & tty video)
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 02:37:08
1 On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 03:10:02AM +0200, Felix Miata wrote:
2 > Yesterday I attempted my first Gentoo install (11.0). Thanks to help here, I
3 > got through my mirrorselect problem. First boot failed. I managed to miss
4 > enabling VIA ATA support, so had no access to /. Second kernel build
5 > suceeded, even to basic network working. First activity on first boot was
6 > 'emerge mc'. That took too long to measure, pulling in 146 packages total,
7 > and I had to goto an appointment before it finished (at package 109).
8 >
9 > Along the way to successful boot, I attempted two emerges suggested by the
10 > handbook (one being Grub Legacy). Both produced "ERROR: ... (compile
11 > phase)..." errors. Today I attempted NFS mounting only to find messages
12 > indicating I had neither portmap nor rpcbind running, so tried 'emerge
13 > portmap'. This produced similar (compile phase)... line 2140: Called die..."
14 > error. So did 'emerge rpcbind'. The way I normally provide logs when asking
15 > for help is put them on my file/web server via NFS, hence the chicken & egg
16 > subject line.
19 Maybe a stupid question, but have you tried run emerge --sync and emerge
20 -vauND world yet since installing?
21
22 > Another problem, highly annoying, is both vga= and video= cmdline parameters
23 > are apparently being ignored. KMS seems married to the Trinitron's
24 > PreferredMode (1600x1200), which produces mousetype on the ttys, and needs to
25 > be fixed before I'll be able to accomplish much without pain trying to see
26 > what I'm doing. My tty PreferredMode is 1152x864, which works with openSUSE
27 > KMS kernels by setting video=1152x864 on cmdline.
28 >
29 > Any suggestions? Are such things in a FAQ somewhere? Do I need an older or
30 > newer portage than Wednesday's? The Handbook stops at Finalizing, where these
31 > questions aren't covered.
32
33 Do you have your video card specified in make.conf?
34 Should be somthing like:
35
36 VIDEO_CARDS="radeon"
39 caveat utilitor