From: "John H. Moe" <johnmoe@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] {OT} Problems playing back DVD
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 06:27:22
1 Hello all,
2
3 I've just gotten Scrubs Season 8 on DVD (as well as House Season 5 and a
4 Dylan Moran DVD), and have found, to my chagrin, that I can't seem to
5 play or rip it on my computer. SMplayer, VLC, Xine, K3B, DVD::Rip and
6 AcidRip all seem to have the same basic problem:
7
8 libdvdread: Can't seek to block 3362902
9 libdvdread: Invalid IFO for title 18 (VTS_18_0.IFO).
10
11 I know the DVD drive is fine, as I've ripped (and watched) all of the
12 House and Dylan Moran DVDs after trying Scrubs the first time. The DVD
13 seems to be fine, as I can play it on my laptop using Windows and
14 InterVideo WinDVD (comes with many HP laptops).
15
16 As near as I can tell, there's some sort of encryption that libdvdread
17 can't read (yet). Can anyone recommend another player that may have
18 success? I was under the impression that Xine, Mplayer and VLC were the
19 main three, and most others used one of the first two as a playback
20 engine anway, but maybe there's others I haven't heard of yet that do
21 better. Or does anyone know a good DVD playback/ripping guide that's
22 fairly current? Or perhaps a) how long I can expect to wait for someone
23 to figure out the encryption, and b) how I might help with my specific
24 DVDs? Any info (especially current info) that might help would be welcome.
25
26 John Moe