From: "Yuri K. Shatroff" <yks-uno@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED] kdm: can't login and start KDE
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 11:45:30
1 On 12.04.2013 00:35, Forrest Schultz wrote:
2 > To be fair, I really don't know much about either of these processes.
3 > However, it looked like the log was describing a situation where, due to
4 > a lack of timezone information, the two processes were unable to
5 > communicate properly. Is it at all possible that this is caused by some
6 > processes defaulting to different time zones? DBUS certainly sounds like
7 > a program where correct time information would be important. On the
8 > other hand, I would think that they would both pull system time if that
9 > was the case. Also, none of things you did sound like they would have
10 > fixed that. It also seems possible that the library/package rebuild
11 > fixed something that was wrong with ktimezoned specifically. Well,
12 > there's my two cents.
13
14 The problem is gone after another sync and world-update, which also
15 affected kdelibs (due to png update) and udev 200->201. So, it wasn't
16 possible to identify the problem's source. Just hoping it will not
17 appear again to anyone.
18
19 Anyway, thanks for your opinion.
20
21 Regarding ktimezoned:
22 there is no problem with it, and I'm still getting the same messages
23 even now that everything is in order.
24 if you look at the log I supplied, you see the first message is
25 klauncher(21958) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you
26 have started the DBUS server.
27
28 The message regarding ktimezoned also states:
29 ktimezoned initialize() D-Bus call failed: "Not connected to D-Bus server"
30 But dbus is up and running:
31 # rc-service dbus status
32 * status: started
33
34 I don't know why this happens, maybe there's a dependency issue in
35 OpenRC which allows xdm service to start before dbus, but as long as it
36 doesn't hamper my system, I'd close my eyes on it. [OT] In general, I
37 don't see any point in KDE's specific services such as ktimezoned,
38 because they seem to me nothing but memory-eaters possibly doing the job
39 already done by kernel and system tools (and more probably, doing no job
40 at all).
44 Best wishes,
45 Yuri K. Shatroff