From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Optimizations for SSD netbook
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 14:08:59
1 >> My girlfriend is at her wit's end with her SSD netbook and is now
2 >> hogging my laptop.  Her netbook has 1GB RAM that could be upgraded to
3 >> 1.5GB, but I've read that it's a pain.  It already runs xfce4, and
4 >> I've just made these optimizations based on past discussions:
5 >>
6 >> 1. CFLAGS="-march=prescott -0s -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -ssse3"
7 >> 2. added elevator=noop as a boot parameter
8 >
9 > I remember that I've given this second advice. Since then I've read in
10 > the German computer journal c't [1] that CFQ has a detection for SSDs
11 > since 2.6.28 and now is the best choice for these devices.
12
13 OK, do I need a boot parameter if I've set CFQ as the default IO
14 scheduler in the kernel config?
15
16 >> 3. disabled DRI to save 32MB RAM
17 >> 4. removed the swap partition from /etc/fstab
18 >>
19 >> Am I missing anything significant?  I've read that it's good to set up
20 >> /tmp in RAM.  How can I do that? In /etc/fstab I have:
21 >>
22 >> shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec
23 >>
24 >> Is that related?
27 > Yup, the entry should read:
28 > tmp /tmp tmpfs default 0 0
29
30 Do you think mounting /tmp in RAM is worthwhile? Mike doesn't seem to
31 think too highly of it.
32
33 > The first entry is just a name. You can name it in every way you want it.
34 >
35 > For further tweaks: Do you use Firefox? I've read that it uses fsync()
36 > when writing to its sqlite backend. This is a really good thing because
37 > it reduces the risk of loosing data but you might (and can) disable this
38 > to increase performance and reduce wear. I don't have a link at hand but
39 > it shouldn't be to hard to find.
40
41 There is some interesting info on disabling fsync here:
42
43 http://www.flamingspork.com/projects/libeatmydata/
44
45 Sounds kinda dangerous. :)