From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Hard Drive Crash - Please Help
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 16:25:42
1 Hello, I woke up this morning and turned on my laptop to find that it
2 no longer boots. It initially hung on starting hald, and once I
3 prevented hald from starting it hung on gdm, and once I prevented gdm
4 from starting I could log in as root but vi failed with a "Bus error".
5 I booted a LiveCD, mounted /dev/hda3, and chrooted, but running
6 env-update then caused all kinds of drive errors.
7
8 I'd like to save the hard drive so I don't have to buy a new one and
9 build a new system on it, but if that's not possible I'd definitely
10 like to save my personal data from the drive. I'm busy/stupid enough
11 to have made no backups and all of my photos etc. are on the drive.
12
13 I successfully wrote an iso of some important files after booting up
14 normally (minus hald, X, and vi) so that's good. Is there a utility I
15 can run on the disk to see if there is permanent damage? Should I try
16 re-emerging packages that are having trouble or should I try to emerge
17 -e world?
18
19 I suppose I should see if I can write and burn iso's of everything in
20 /home/grant/ right away. Is there a good way to get a bunch of data
21 into multiple iso's that are each no larger than 650MB? Also, I've
22 read man mkisofs and experimented before with trying to preserve
23 filenames perfectly but it never comes out quite right. Can anyone
24 recommend mkisofs options for preserving filenames perfectly?
25
26 Thanks for your time.
27
28 - Grant